Wednesday 12 February 2014

Technicolor TG589vn V3 Router(as supplied by MWEB) and Zyxel WRE2205 Wireless Extender Review

I have been a Mweb Uncapped adsl client for a while now and the other day I recieved a phone call about a new FON enabled router with Wifi extender for free, it seems new clients also get this.

So I obviously said yes, as the best things in life are free, and here is my impressions of the products after using them and setting them up.

First off you might be asking "What is FON?" well this is what the official site has to say

"Fon is your Global WiFi Network.
It's built by people just like you.

Fon members share a bit of their home WiFi, and in turn get free access at millions of other Fon hotspots worldwide.

Joining is easy. All you have to do is buy a Fon WiFi router and plug it into your broadband connection. No monthly fees!

Or, if you live in a country where Fon has a telco partner, just sign up with them to become a member."

First off the Zyxel WRE2205 Wireless Extender is a small, easy to use device that easily connects with the push of a button using WPS. If you want to use it with a different Wireless SSID than provided by the router, or want to connect to a non WPS enabled router, the guide here can help you.

The TG589vn V3 Router is feature rich with including but not limited to FON, 300mbps Wifi, WPS, VDSL as well as ADSL connectivity and 3g Backup via USB.

Setting up the TG589vn V3 Router from Mweb is as simple as plugging it in, and waiting a few minutes then it's setup and ready for use. Unless you are like me and prefer having your own personal SSID and want to setup port forwarding and such.

One can easily get the Manual by asking @mwebguy on Twitter and changing the SSID is fairly process. The same with port forwarding.

I do have a few issues with the TG589vn V3 and Zyxel WRE2205 though, first off I am currently using an Asus DSL-N12E adsl router which although it doesn't have FON and VDSL support, has a much larger WiFi coverage and allows me to setup DMZ and QoS among other things. Which I do use.

The Zyxel WRE2205 also doesn't have nearly the coverage as my current wireless extender the Edimax EW-7415PDn.

I also found the Wireless network speeds a bit faster on my current Setup of the Asus and Edimax compared to the TG589vn V3 and Zyxel WRE2205 pair.

Does this mean I will never use the TG589vn V3 and Zyxel WRE2205? No, I'm glad MWEB supplied me with these 2 devices free of charge, as I now have an already set up pair of Router and Wireless Extender as backup, in the case that lightning destroys my current Router and Wifi Extender pair. And if it wasn't for my current gear I would probably have been quite happy with the TG589vn V3 and Zyxel WRE2205.

Thanks again to MWEB for supplying it's customers with another great service.



No comments:

Post a Comment